Thursday, October 7, 2010

Giving Patients Meaningful Health Data

In the article, “Giving Patients Meaningful Health Data”, written by Marianne McGee, it is talked about whether or not patients are receiving enough of their personal health information through certain health IT programs. Healthcare providers are now starting to make progress in health IT while making it meaningful. Patients too are searching for technological ways to manage and track their own healthcare. The two leaders for providing online personal health records are Microsoft HealthVault and Google Health. Both of these are used for assembling and storing private health records. Various healthcare providers are starting new technologies in order to work hand in hand with these online sources and allow patients to schedule appointments online, send doctors messages, and other helpful actions. One example of a healthcare provider stepping up in this situation is Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. When requested by a patient, all information and documents can be uploaded to either Microsoft HealthVault. While Beth Israel is doing this, other healthcare providers are taking different routes. With the use of portals, it is becoming easier for patients to access both financial and clinical information. These portals give the patients the ability to pay bills without the use of redundant paperwork. As seen in the video attached below, there are many new technologies being introduced into the healthcare world. This video specifically shows an operating room that uses an innovative camera. This camera is inserted into the patient and actually outputs an HD visual. This video also shows a new advancement in robotics. The robot used in this hospital is designed to help workers avoid doing redundant and tedious jobs. These jobs include bringing food, linens, and lunch trays to either nurses or to rooms. This robot does all of this while avoiding running into objects and people.

My personal opinion on the advancements taking place in the healthcare world is that I think it is incredible. I can actually relate to this article too. Within the past 6 months, my physician completely upgraded his office. When I say this, I mean he got rid of all paperwork. Charts, files, file cabinets, everything is gone. Every part of that office is completely electronic and computerized. The first time I went into the office after the switch, they set me up on a webcam to take a picture of myself. Now, every time I go in for an appointment, they take my picture and using facial recognition technology, the computer brings up all of my information, including my medical history and reason for visit. The doctor now also knows that I have arrived for my appointment. A lot of the new technology that is hitting the healthcare systems is impressive. I find the robot the most impressive. In my mind, I soon see these robots everywhere in the healthcare industry and elsewhere. Even down the line, these robots will be inside of the operating room assisting the doctor with the procedure, if not doing it on its own.


HHeHHHHdsfjsd


http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/09/giving_patients.html

No comments: